Mother Tongue Counselling
The Mother Tongue Counselling Service
is a part of Wandsworth & Westminster Mind's Talking Therapies and Wellbeing Service, and the wider West London
Community Living Well Service.
aims to integrate the Farsi (Persian) and Arabic speaking communities in
Kensington & Chelsea, Queens Park and Paddington with primary care mental
health services, by providing effective, accessible and culturally capable
one-to-one counselling in their mother tongue languages, along with delivery of
information and workshops around mental health and wellbeing, tailored to suit
the needs of the group.
The leading priority of this service is
to ensure that people’s access to talking therapies is not stalled by their
ethnicity, culture or faith, and to normalise the concept of mental health
problems so that the communities can openly talk about it and not ignore it.
We accept GP referrals. You can also self-refer to this service.
~ In 2017 we were awarded Westminster Neighbourhood Project of the Year for the work that our Mother Tongue Counselling team have been doing in bringing talking therapies and mental health support to people from Arabic and Farsi speaking communities in North Kensington and Westminter.
What we offer?
- One-to-one counselling services in Farsi (Persian) and Arabic languages.
- Service users are enrolled in short-term counselling arrangements, ranging from 6-12 weeks for management of common mental health issues.
- The service is free of cost for the users.
- We respect your privacy. Any information discussed in the sessions will be kept confidential and will not be disclosed to a third party without the consent of the service users, or under exceptional circumstances, such as risk or harm to self or others.
- The assessments and counselling sessions are culturally adaptable, and the counsellors are sensitive to the individual needs.
- The service is offered at a variety of locations across North of Westminster.
- We also provide Self-help groups and Psycho-educational workshops on topics related to mental health awareness and wellbeing.
- Signposting and referral to other welfare services in the community is also offered, in order to sustain recovery as part of integrated care.
Who is it for?
- People who have Farsi (Persian) or Arabic language & cultural needs
- Who are 18 years or older
- Who either live in or are registered with a GP in Kensington & Chelsea, Queens Park or Paddington.
How to refer?
We accept GP referrals. You are also able to self-refer to this service.
For a self-referral form or further details, contact:
Muskaan Khurana, Community Development Worker on:
Tel: 020 7259 8120
Mobile: 07715 636626